Friday 9 April 2010


Yesterday I went to see Creative Lynx for a portfolio visit where I met Kate Hawkins and Steve Waring. When I arrived at the studio I was surprised to see how big the studio was. Kate greeted me and showed me where she and Steve wanted to view my portfolio. Kate stared to ask me questions about my course and so did Steve, I was happy to answer. I moved on to show them my portfolio and immediately Kate liked the first page of my portfolio, which had a simple graphic iconic feature of me (my glasses). Kate explained it’s important to show something memorial because it can help identify an individual person. As Steve and Kate looked thought my portfolio they asked me what each project was about and the ideas behind them, I was happy to explain. As some of my early work didn’t have much of an idea behind them I explained to them both that it was to do with more with the layout, space and experiment at the time. After having viewed my entire portfolio Steve and Kate both said that I had some nice work in my portfolio but would have liked to seen more identity work. I agreed and than Steve suggested that I add a bit more colour to my work as most of my projects where in black and white, he said I know some pieces of my work best in black and white but try to inject some colour, I agreed. Than Steve looked through my portfolio again and suggested that I show some of my ideas a bit better practically my typeface and the British Dental Museum poster, I agreed and said that I was in the process of redesigning the logo from my pervious feedback from other agencies. After they had viewed my portfolio I had a chance to ask Steve and Kate a few questions. I asked Steve and Kate that is there any other changes that I could make to bring my portfolio up to scratch? They replied that by adding more colour, showing my ideas more better, maybe take out pieces of work that don’t have much of an idea and do some freelance identity work. I was happy with the answers and told Steve that I am currently doing an identity for the Manchester Art Gallery for my FMP. I tried to explain my logo to Steve for the Manchester Art Gallery but it was a bit difficult and told him that I was having a hard time showing my idea through the logo. Steve suggested that a few websites for me to look at. I than thanked both Steve and Kate for their time and seeing me on such short notice. Overall I was happy with the feedback and told Ben and Kate that it always helps to have a second opinion on my work as bring up new ideas and thoughts.

No comments: